Welcome to Everything England! My family and friends inspire me to share ideas, recipes, everyday adventures, and even moments with my sweet family of four. Enjoy!

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Eve!

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

For me Valentine's Day is about what I can do, give, and make someone feel, rather than what I get or what others do for me. I'm not going to deny that I love gifts...(Scott would totally call me out). All girls enjoy a gift...or two. Right? Seriously, I believe God has blessed me beyond what I deserve. I sincerely believe that. I believe the quote by Emerson ..."what lies within us" is what is most important. It doesn't matter how successful we are. It doesn't matter what we had, have, or are going to have (regards to money and materials). What matters is WHO we are and how we act, what we say, and what we do. AND if we are following His path.

Yesterday, was one of excitement, anticipation, a little bit of chaos and LOTS of sugar and LOTS of LOVE! Well, we had our "Friendship" Party yesterday at school. I gave my kids Valentine pencils. I felt badly, b/c I knew it wasn't much of a gift. I really dropped the ball b/c I waited until the last minute to get them something. I wanted them to know the pencils were from me SO right before our party, they were sitting so quietly on the ABC circle rug as I told them a story on "the fly." The story was, that I had kissed every pencil (they were blue and had kisses-little lips on them...I can't believe I forgot to take a picture...you know...the visual issue I have). Anyway, I told them that I had kissed them just for them. The girls smiled and the boys looked around; some even turning a little red. I explained that when I handed them the pencil they could give it a quick kiss and put it in their Valentine bag. A couple, not many gave the pencil a kiss. I also explained that they could hold their pencil close to their heart and hear Mrs. England's voice in their head saying, "I love you!" More red faces and smiles came from my kinder kuties. The CRAZY-FUN day continued on....(the conclusion to the story is at the end of the post).

Peeps for my peeps! These were for my
favorite teachers at work....my team!
I'm so lucky to have these girls and guy :-)
along side of me! Thanks for the goodies
you gave me!

So, now a few things I did receive! I wanted to post to display the beauty and how truly thankful I am for the heartfelt gifts.

From my honey!
I love you.

from two of my students.
Daisies and mini Roses.

Having fun with my camera!
Aren't they pretty?


From another sweet student.

At the 5th grade v day party!
Hugs to you Mrs. Ragsdale!


This is the Valentine's Day Card
Nealy made all by herself.
She loves digital scrapping just like me!
I think she was being thoughtful in
wanting to make it...:-)
Clever little bouquet from
another student. Yum!

Nealy and Brayden received this in
the mail from Uncle Gary, Aunt LeAnn, and Cousin Carson!
Thank you!
Cupid will make his delivery today to Carson...
fun!

I just had to pose with my Tulips!

So the end of the story: At the very end of the day as I am passing out the valentine bags to my kids, I see many, almost all pulling their "kissy pencil" out of their bags and giving it kisses. It totally warmed my heart. Some were trying to be discreet about it. I thought it was the sweetest thing. Parents (I had tons) in the room were even asking, "why are they kissing their pencils?" I just smiled and said, "there's a story behind it. Why don't you ask when you're at home."

Again, it warmed my heart to have made my kids feel special and more importantly loved by their teacher. It reminded me, it's not the gift that matters, it's how my kids felt...how I made them feel.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy HEART day mom! Love you! Nealy

Ladyornot.com said...

I love me some peeps! It looks like your family really does enjoy the holiday.
I love showing my family how much I love them.
You all looks so happy. :)

x,
Rebecca